Lennox icomfort Thermostat: Reliable WiFi is #1 Issue After 12 Months

My family and I have used the Lennox icomfort thermostat ($350) with our Lennox XC21 air conditioner for the past 12 months, both installed new. We love the system. Here are my observations:

• One-touch Away – This is the most-used feature of the thermostat. We use it daily, touching the button before leaving on errands (set to 80 degrees). And we don’t always turn-off One-touch Away after returning home. The house feels cool and comfortable because dehumidification works so well.

iComfort Thermostat-One Touch Away Mode
    iComfort One-Touch Away Mode
  • Humidity level shown on home screen – This is a feature that can be configured on-screen by the homeowner. I keep a daily eye on humidity and turned this on from initial start up. During cooling season, with a delta T of 5-10 degrees, We get 42-55% humidity levels. And that is in a leaky 1926 house over an unencapsulated crawlspace (Bad. Very bad). Never before has our house had such low humidity levels, which is not due to the thermostat. But the thermostat makes it easy to see humidity levels at a glance. Our previous Carrier air conditioner system lowered humidity to 60-70%. The Lennox XC 21 is easily the best air conditioner that we have ever owned. I will share my thoughts on the XC 21 in another post.
  • icomfort iPhone app is used occasionally – When we first installed the new air conditioner system, I used the icomfort iPhone app daily. It provided a new-found sense of control over our air conditioner. Never before had I been able to control our air conditioner remotely. Over time, I used the iPhone app less frequently. It was simply easier to cancel Away mode after returning home. But I do find myself occasionally hot, sitting on the sofa or lying in bed. I pull out my iPhone (or an iPad on the coffee table) and change the temperature. Also, after a multi-day trip, I cancel Away mode during my cab ride home. The last thing I want after a long trip is to return to a hot home.
  • WiFi connection is (was) unreliable – My icomfort thermostat is connected to an Apple Airport Extreme wireless access point (5th generation). When I apply the Airport Extreme firmware updates, I frequently have problems holding a stable WiFi connection. I’m not sure why this is. I reboot the Airport Extreme. I disable and then re-enable WiFi access on the thermostat. This usually establishes a connection. But as Apple has taught us, “things should just work”. More frustrating, the thermostat loses WiFi access intermittently. A stealth firmware update on the thermostat? I have no idea. Even after rebooting Airport Extreme then disabling and re-enabling WiFi on the thermostat, I am still unable to establish a WiFi connection. At this point, I wait a few hours–or 1-2 days–and the WiFi connection is re-established. Go figure. Lennox really needs to fix this, whether it is an icomfort thermostat hardware/software issue or I need to change my network configuration with setup information provided by Lennox. With that said, since the May 22, 2013 “connection outage resolved” notice from Lennox, I have had a rock-solid WiFi connection. I hope the stable WiFi connection continues. An inconsistent WiFi connection is the achilles heel to an otherwise excellent thermostat.

icomfort Thermostat-WiFi Outage Resolved
    May 22, 2013 Connection Outage Resolved Notice
  • Thermostat screen blackout – Once over the past 12 months, the thermostat screen blacked out. Touching anywhere would not activate the screen. I confirmed that the thermostat was not placed in cleaning mode. On the verge of placing a service call to my HVAC contractor, I decided to tilt the thermostat forward of the wall mounting plate, unplugging it from its power source. After this hard reboot, the thermostat re-started normally. In the days prior, there was no power outage. Perhaps an unknown voltage spike occurred.
  • Firmware auto-update is transparent – Smart thermostats are wall-mounted computers. Software updates, bug fixes, and security updates will be frequent. At the same time, updates should be seamless to consumers. Lennox does this very well. I am running icomfort 2.1, announced on May 16, 2013, which was transparently installed for me on or around that time. I also considered a Trane XL20i air conditioner system and the Comfort Link II smart thermostat. The Trane Comfort Link II requires an $8.95 monthly fee for remote access and the use of an SD card to transfer updates from a computer to the thermostat. That’s hardly easy.

WiFi Thermostat-Trane ComfortLink II Brochure
    Trane ComfortLink II Brochure – Software Update Process

Summary

The Lennox iComfort WiFi thermostat is an outstanding smart thermostat. Its operation has Apple-like simplicity. Software updates are painless and transparent. Remote access functionality is free. And with the WiFi issues seemingly resolved, my enjoyment of the thermostat is only sure to increase.  I will never again use a non-digital thermostat. The Lennox icomfort thermostat is a winner (about $350, excluding installation).

78 Responses to “Lennox icomfort Thermostat: Reliable WiFi is #1 Issue After 12 Months”

1. johnk

Great Post! I have the exact same system in my South FL home and couldn’t be happier. I also have intermittent WiFi signal loss, which only means you can’t wirelessly control the system from your phone or tablet. Usually it reconnects by itself in a day or so.

• Jennifer Hagan

I have the same problem. I cut my phone off and reboot it and then it links to the thermostat. My home wifi is fine and stable. My screen is completely blank as well, and I can only control the thermostat with the wifi app. Aggravating!

2. pepperidge13

With optional 24V relay kit, it could connect most of the HVAC systems.

3. Laurie

We lost power last night for about 6 hours. Now our thermostat is completely dead. No touch screen and no connection to wifi. We have pulled it off the wall twice but that does not seem to make a difference. Guess we are calling the hvac guys.

• John

My thermostat display is out also. I can still control the temp thru the internet connections. What was the outcome of your problem when you called the service department?

• Bryon Thomas

Since you can control the thermostat through the Internet, it sounds like your screen failed. I suggest you request a warranty replacement. In one case, my screen went black because the drain pan overflow float switch correctly activated and cut power to the AC system. Once I cleaned the drain line, the float switch de-activated allowing power back to the AC unit and my Lennox iComfort thermostat screen turned on again.

4. Barbara

I too have constant wifi connection issues with the icomfort thermostat and it is very frustrating. The purpose of this thermostat is remote access and it is useless if it will not maintain a wifi connection. The update did not fix my issues. I would never recommend this product.

5. Rosida

Hi there?
    I am interested to install Lennox XP17 Heat pump and Wi-fi thermostat. But it seems that the wi-fi connection is still an issue.
    I would appreciate if you could share your thought or answer these questions:
    1. What is the impact of loss wi-fi connection to system operation?
    2. Do we need to have wi-fi connection in order to change the temperature setting directly from touch screen?
    3. Is it true that the wi-fi connection issue is only related with remote access?
    4. Will functionality on the touch screen will remains available in case of loss wi-fi connection?
    Thanks in advance

• bryonthomas

On this blog, readers have indicated ongoing problems with maintaining a constant WiFi connection. My connection has been–and continues to be–rock solid. I use Apple Airport Extreme access points configured in bridge mode on the same network as my AT&T U-verse residential gateway. When the thermostat loses WiFi connectivity, 3 things are prevented:
      1) no remote access to thermostat
      2) no weather forecast information
      3) troubleshooting information is not sent to the registered dealer.
      Even without WiFi connectivity, you are able to fully control the air conditioner or heat pump from the icomfort touchscreen thermostat.

6. robertjberger

I found that I had to set my Airport Express to enable 802.11b, the original version of 802.11 and considered obsolete by most. There are so many things like this that are backwards about the iComfort Wifi. The fact that is rigidly closed about it means there is no way for programmers like myself or 3rd parties can deliver improvements. Its clear that Lennox has some excellent HVAC chops, but has no clue about programming. I am very sorry I bought Lennox because of their mentality of proprietary everything in terms of protocols and APIs. If they would just publish the APIs of the iComfort we could make Lennox HVAC systems a member of the Internet of Things. But because their atttitudes about software and openness are from prehistoric times we can’t. I sure hope they see the light and offer a FULL set of APIs and better yet a full SDK also.

7. Katydid

We got our Lennox AC system and thermostat almost 2 years ago and I love it! I love having the ability to load my own photos so that it does not look like a bland piece of equipment on the wall. I have had intermittent connection problems in the past 6 months but it usually reconnects on its own. More recently however, our thermostat screen”shifts” about 1 inch to the left but the touch part remains the same. So if you want to touch the heat up or down, you actually touch the screen 1 inch to the right to execute the command. I called Lennox and their fix is to turn the breaker off, then on and then off. That will fix it temporarily, but then it goes back to the shifted screen within a day or two. It’s a hassle so we’ve learned to work the controls with the tweaked screen. Sometimes, the screen goes from blue to purple…. And then it changes back on its own. We haven’t done anything to it and we barely use it. I notice it seems to occur when Lennox is updating software…. But that’s just a guess. Is anyone else having this problem?

• Katydid

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that we are using an Apple Airport Extreme router.

• Dmb273

Hi – we are having the EXACT same problem with the screen shifting to the left. Have you had any luck determining the cause and/or a fix? Would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

8. not2pc

Some routers encapsulate packets differently causing the wi-fi to not work. Basically, my theory is the unit has a very small buffer…too small and whne the buffer is filled with too much info. Viola! No wifi until it clears or rebooted. Just use a cheapo Netgear and it’ll work. Verzion routers for instance will not work with unit.

9. Texas Trane

Maybe you should have gone with the Trane system. I have had the Trane XL20i (2) systems with Comfort Link II thermostats for 2 years. The WiFi works flawlessly. The update for the firmware is done via WiFi from the thermostat; you do not need a computer. I don’t use the remote access which requires the fee.

10. Brandon

Lost power after 1 year as well

11. DrJaysel

Does anyone know how reliable the humidity reading is from the Lennox iComfort thermostat? I have a complete Lennox system including a manual Lennox humidifier. In the winter we try to keep the humidity at a level appropriate to the outdoor temperature based on a widely published table. However, I have a separate hygrometer which says that the humidity is around 4% higher than the the reading from the thermostat. We want to avoid too much or too little humidity in the house but don’t know if the thermostat is more accurate than my hygrometer.

12. Jake D

I tried the Trane and Lennox Wi-fi system. I actually returned the Trane and bought the Lennox, which is definitly of higher build quality.

Anyway, been about 6mths, mine loses connection the the Lennox servers several times a day that either causes a reboot or the system is automatically rebooting (a couple times a day) and then the Lennox server is down.
    Regardless of the problem it is more of a nuisance than anything. Everything seems to work as expected, albeit above issue. Overall happy with it, just don’t know why Lennox servers are down so much.
    To be clear, the thermostat stays connected to the Apple router, just loses connection to Lennox.

13. MC

I just had Lennox 2-zone system with a heat pump installed two weeks ago and love everything about it but the iComfort WiFi Thermostat and it’s wifi issues. I even purchased an additional AirPort Express (bridge mode/hardwired to home network – rest of house on AT&T U-verse with additional hardwired AirPort Express units for extended coverage) and placed it approximately 10 feet away from the thermostat to see if that would fix the issues. It really doesn’t matter how close the router/access point is from the thermostat it still only shows 2 or 3 bars and disconnects constantly and nothing I do can reconnect it until if does it on it’s own. This absolutely drives me crazy and I have no idea what else to do. I had Nest before and it worked like a charm without issues.

• MC

Oh I wish it could be hardwired, I’d drop additional network cable just for that…..

• MC

Ok I figured it out after tinkering with it the entire day. I had to disable all of my WAPs and extenders beyond just the one. The thermostat connected without problems and stayed connected. I reconnected my WAPs after that. I am sure that once there’s a connection issue at some point I will have to repeat the process but I think I can live with that as long as the thermostat stays connected.

• Rafayel

After hours and hours and hours of trying everything on every thread on the web (and i mean i tried everything from resetting the modem, router, disabling encryption, wps, b/g/n, MHz, channels, you name it… i tried it) nothing worked for me UNTIL I did one simple task: Reset the thermostat. To do this, hold the Lennox button for 5 seconds and click on the Reset button on lower right corner (underneath the Yes or No question)

14. Kimberley S Judge

Cannot hook up to WiFi — Have had hvac people here, have spoke with Lennox support and even tried another thermostat. Have had network names and passwords changed, have an excellent signal status…Has anyone had so much difficulty — and have you been able to rectify it?

• Bryon Thomas

I had WiFi problems early on, too, even though I had a strong signal at the thermostat. The problem was with my home network configuration on my WiFi router (Apple Airport Extreme). Whatever brand of WiFi router you use, it needs to be correctly configured to work with your Internet provider and assign IP addresses. I worked with Scott (support) at http://interseckt.com. He was awesome!!! He troubleshooted my network remotely (never came to my house). In a few of hours he had my network configured correctly with AT&T U-verse, 2 Airport Extreme routers, and about 30 devices (I have a full smart home as well as computers, iPads, iPhones, etc). It was the best $350 I had ever spent. It pays to bring in an expert. I suspect you likely have other networking problems as well. Or you just don’t know (yet) how good a well-functioning network can be.

Even though Interseckt is based out of Miami, FL, I would give them a call to see if they can help you. Otherwise, I suggest a CEDIA-certified home theater company in your local area.

Good luck. You will love the Lennox iComfort thermostat once you get it configured correctly.

15. ND

Our only issue with the iComfort WiFi is that in Celsius mode (AB, Canada) 19.5°C (67°F) does not exist on the scale, while all the other half degree increments do (17.5, 18.5, 20.5, 21.5,…).
    Lennox REFUSES to fix this simple software glitch even though they’ve been fully aware of it for more than 2 years!
    Their solution: we should buy the ugly new black iComfort S30.
    We may exercise our installer’s money-back guarantee after all and replace it with a Carrier system…

• Bryon Thomas

With the launch of smart thermostats like the iComfort, Nest, Carrier Cor, and Trane ComfortLink, HVAC manufacturers have entered the world of consumer electronics, but they continue to behave as old school industrial companies with slow release cycles. As Marc Andreessen, founder of Netscape, wrote “software is eating the world

And yes, I believe most homes have white walls. Why did Lennox come out with the black iComfort S30? The original white iComfort blends in nicely on my white walls. I hope someday Lennox will release an iComfort software update that provides half-degree increments is Celsius mode. But I’m skeptical like you…

16. Ron

I’m having trouble with the Android iComfort3 app. Mostly, it hangs in a “waiting…” state. Sometimes this can be fixed by forcing a stop, clearing data, and restarting. Frequently, I get the message “server not available … ” I’m not sure whether the problem is with me or Lennox. In any case, using the remote control is anything but convenient. Has anybody experienced similar difficulties?

• Bryon Thomas

I use the iOS app, so I can’t comment on the Android version. With that said, I have received the error “server not available.” I hired a CEDIA home theatre expert (Interseckt – Scott in networking rocks) for this and other home network problems. He troubleshooted my home network remotely and found problems with IP configurations for my 30+ devices. Since resolving my home network problems, my iComfort service has been rock solid. Not sure if that is your problem but it could be worth looking into.

17. Bill

My S30 is working like a champ. The only issue I have is the time, it is always 1 hour behind. It is connected to my wifi and has never had a connection issue so not sure what causes it.

• Bryon Thomas

This may sound obvious, but have you checked the selected time zone on your S30 thermostat? The Lennox S30 Thermostat Installation Manual shows a setting for time zone (pg. 14). I did not see a way to change the setting from myicomfort.com. Good luck.

• Bill

Thanks Bryon. That was the problem on mine. It was set to wrong time zone. Appreciate the tip.

• Brigette

Do you happen to know how to change the time zone without doing a complete reset of the device?

• Bryon Thomas

I’m not in front of my thermostat now, so I can’t test this. Do you have the correct zip code in your account at https://www.myicomfort.com? I looked through the iComfort Homeowner’s Manual but did not see any info on setting the time zone.

• Ro

• J.F. Larente

Thanks Ro. I could have RTFM but this post solved my issue. Interesting that they wouldn’t pick up the time zone from the address / zip code…

18. Stan

Our new Lennox A/C installed today. Great unit but iComfort thermostat can’t connect to wifi. My two access points show up but with zero signal. Router specs button indicate proper signal strength but MAC address is wrong IP address, gateway, etc. are all zeros. Tested signal from both access points and they are at 100% and 75%. Closest ap is 10 feet from the thermostat.

Also, router info on 2nd ap displays info from 1st ap. Yes, both ap show same name and other info from the first ap in the list.

Any ideas would be much appreciated as I gave up my great NEST thermostat for this!

• Bryon Thomas

To me, this sounds like a home networking issue. I had a similar problem that was periodic with my Lennox iComfort thermostat until I hired a CEDIA certified home networking company (Interseckt). I was running multiple Apple APs and my home network performance was slow and I would lose the connection to my NAS. Interseckt logged in to my network remotely (I granted them permission) and within 2 hours my home network was fixed (about $250). This was a couple years ago and I have never had another problem with my iComfort thermostat connecting to WiFi. The rest of my home network has never run better (30-40 devices with AT&T U-verse). Configuring your home network to work optimially with your ISP can be finicky. I know $250 may sound expensive for support, but it is a small price to pay for a frustration-free home network. I would pay it again in a heartbeat.

19. Pete

My icomfort has had no wifi issues as of five weeks online. My problem is what I consider to be short cycling. My icomfort is mated to a 3 ton xc21 outside unit and a cbx32 air handler. For the five weeks it has been installed it has come on to cool for 6 to 9 minutes then off for approximately the same amount of time. My sqft is right at the borderline two and a half / three ton mark as it comes in at a little over 1400 sq ft. The unit has been moved once and changed once with no effect. It is on an interior wall of the hallway of a house that has double pane windows and insulated doors. In short, it is a fairly insulated home. An infrared thermometer shows almost all of the walls in the home being from 69 to 71 degrees with the icomfort set at 72. My A.C. company has been great responding to the complaint (changing and moving thermostat) but after I noticed that the thermostat itself generates anywhere from 85.1 (center top) degrees with to within .2 of the set temp. across the top and down the sides with the cooler temps at the bottom (77 to 73 degrees) I was informed that this is normal and the sensor for thermostat is engineered to compensate for that. When I asked once more about the 6/7 min. on/off I was again told that the thermostat must be responding to some heat source and the short time off and on would not increase wear and tear on my unit as he did not consider the times to be a short cycle. As it is a two stage unit, the low speed comes on for the most part. The unit cycles the short times with no cooking or bathing being done for hours (early/late A.M P.M.). Again all the temps in the house in each room register at or in some cases (tile counters or floors) lower. I would like to know if the temp differential can be adjusted to lengthen the cycle time As of this writing the warmest thing in my house is the icomfort itself. I would also like to have a second opinion of (in my case) short cycle. Thanks.

• Bryon Thomas

Sounds like your house is well-insulated but how well air-sealed is it? Has your house been pressure-tested to give you an “air changes per hour at 50 pascals” (ACH50) reading? That may be causing the AC to turn on frequently. With regard to the temperature differential, and to my knowledge, the Lennox iComfort does not enable you to adjust the hysteresis (e.g., plus/minus .5 degrees of thermostat set point).

20. Lana Parker

I’ve had my new Lennox HVAC system since March and have had no wifi issues but I have the same problem now that it is warm, AC is on 5 min off 5 min. I called my installer out and they tell me there is no problem and the system is working as it should. I don’t see how this can be good for the compressor. We had an energy audit preformed before installation and after for the energy rebates so I know we don’t have issues there. I’ve heard of others having the same short cycling with other brands of wifi thermostats. Can a software update not be issued to change the temp variance?

• Bryon Thomas

Good point. Having a setting to configure the hysteresis appears simple. While I believe most brands have a .5 to 1 degree hysteresis, setting it larger would cause greater interior temperature fluctuations and therefore less comfort. Who performed your energy audit? Was it a RESNET or BPI (Building Performance Institute) certified professional? If not, I recommend having one. “Energy Audits” is a loaded phrase. Even utility companies commonly say they can conduct an energy audit but in most cases they are not RESNET or BPI certified. Would you go to an unlicensed doctor for your personal health? The same can be said for the real “house doctors” who understand the home as a complex system.

21. Bruce Wilson

I installed iComfort wifi thermostat in 3 houses including my own 3 years ago. The first one the display went after 6 months operation . replaced on warranty. second one died 2 months ago display went and stopped controlling purchased a new one and am fighting with the supplier for warranty replacement because tstat is supposed to be warrantied for 5 years. To add insult to injury the thermostat in my house died today , display went black and stopped controlling

22. Bud Jameson

We love our Lennox system. Have not had WiFi connection issues since the first week (system was put in over two years ago). Knock on wood We are having an issue with the set temp box on the screen, I went to adjust temp and the little box faded out. We can only adjust temp from our iPhone app. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

• Bryon Thomas

The faded temperature box and lack of touch sensitivity sounds like a screen issue. I recommend contacting your Lennox dealer for an on-site diagnosis. Probably most cost-effective during your next scheduled HVAC service call. I had the screen fail on my iComfort, so your issue is not surprising. I love my iComfort thermostat, too. The old thermostats seem barbaric!

23. Kay

Just got icomfort wifi with Lennox ac unit. It feels great when it’s actively cooling, but when it’s reached the goal temp even with the fan ON, I can hardly (and often not at all) feel the air coming through vent. I want to run a fan that actually blows air I can feel when I want, even at a continuousuly same temp. (I could do this with our previous Carrier supposedly inferior system). Can this be done?

• Bryon Thomas

One of the benefits of the Lennox AC unit is that it has a variable speed fan. It runs at higher speeds when actively cooling and then runs at slow speeds–while still cooling–when the set temperature is reached. The air exiting the ducts has an almost imperceptible air flow. But this is good! With the AC running at very low speeds you are getting a more consistent temperature throughout your house with fewer temperature spikes, making your home more comfortable. At the same time, running the fan at very low speeds saves money. The electronically commutated motor (ECM) motor in the air handler makes this possible, which is not possible in less expensive units. The low speed air flow may be different from what you are accustomed, but my recommendation is stick with it as it makes the home more comfortable. If you still want to change behavior of the air handler so that it turns on/off and runs at high speeds, I suggest contact Lennox support or your local AC contractor.

24. Angelo Fernandez

I have an entire Lennox system with the iComfort thermostat. My issue isn’t with losing wifi, but my connection status shows the Lennox Server Not Available at least 3-5 times a week. Mostly during nights and early mornings. Anyone else experiencing this?

• Bryon Thomas

I have experienced the occasional “Lennox Server Not Available” 1-2 times annually. It could be more, but that is what I’ve noticed. From your iComfort thermostat, have you tried removing your WiFi access point and then re-adding it? Have you removed the thermostat from the wall and then re-connected it to force a restart? I have done those things and my Lennox Server connection has been stable.

25. Ivo Foldyna

I have the iComfort thermostat. After 14 months the screen went dark. Re-seating did not help and the Lennox service found it “dead”. Because there was a power-outage prior to the thermostat going dead I had to pay full price for a new one.
    Now… 8 months later another power outage and AGAIN my thermostat is dark. (it only briefly shows 4 dots traveling across the screen when it is re-seated. This is the same as the first one when it died).
    Again the Lennox dealer is telling me that the warranty is void if there was a known power outage.
    It looks like that many others are experiencing this very exact problem with the iComfort thermostat going bad after power outage.
    This is clearly a flaw in the design and should be addressed and I also have an issue with the warranty exclusion.

• Bryon Thomas

My AC dealer has replaced my iComfort Thermostat twice. Both times the replacement was completed at no charge to me, except for the service call fee. Power outages are a common occurrence and are to be expected. Blaming failure of the iComfort Thermostat on a power outage seems like a like an excuse to me.

26. Phil

I installed a complete top of the line Dave Lennox Signature Series HVAC system in June 2016 in a 3100 sq. ft. single story 10 year old house with 6 inch exterior walls, insulated interior walls, 2 inches of closed cell foam on the underside of the floor, a completely sealed crawl space and 30 inches of attic insulation. In South Carolina, by the way. This house will hold the humidity level to + or – 1 point over a 24 hour period even without the HVAC running. I know this because in addition to the thermostat I have two other hydrometers around the house and even had outside testing done to validate their accuracy. A iComfort thermostat was originally installed with the system and when that didn’t work another one was installed and when that didn’t work the S30 was installed and when that didn’t work you’re screwed. The humidity reading on the thermostats go up and down like a yo-yo. During the hottest part of the summer with the thermostat set at 74 degrees the humidity displayed was 63 % yet it was actually 40% in the house. So the A/C continued to run thinking the humidity was too high which caused the temp to drop to 68 degrees before I finally had to shut it off. Lennox knows about and admits that the problem exists and contends they are working on it and have been for some time. What a piece of crap, looks like they need help. Further, if you have a high seer system and think you are actually getting that kind of performance you are in for a shock. There are a whole bunch of conditions that must be in place for a 21 seer to achieve that level of performance one of which is that it can’t be larger than a 2 ton system. Probably the best you’ll get from a 5 ton XC21 is about 16 seer. You won’t see that in the advertisements.

• Bryon Thomas

Great feedback but sorry you are having so many problems. It’s critical to have an accurate humidity reading from the thermostat as the AC unit will turn on at the dehumidification set point. If that is off, your dehumidification and home comfort will be out of whack–which it is! I have recently started using a Foobot Indoor Air Quality Monitor. It takes readings every 60 seconds for: VOCs, PM2.5, and CO2 (derived from VOC), Temperature, and Humidity. It’s not perfect, but it is the best air quality monitor that I’ve found. It shows your data on beautiful graphs for iOS and Android.

Unfortunately, you will almost never get the SEER rating listed from the manufacturer. That assumes perfect installation including no leaky duct work and proper commissioning of the system. There are very few AC techs who do this well. I suggest contacting a RESNET or BPI certified professional. They are experts in building science and can help diagnose and optimize your home’s performance. They can also provide a Home Energy Rating Score (HERS), the de facto “miles per gallon” rating for your home.

• Phil

I don’t need a Home Energy Rating Score or any certified professionals to tell me what I already know. None of that is going to fix the problems with the thermostat. I had a ranking technical expert from Lennox come into my home and say “yeah, the thermostat in my house does the same thing”. Can you believe it? When broaching the issue Lennox their response has been and continues to be that they are working on a fix. This has been going on for years. As far as I am concerned this is a warranty issue and if there is anyone out there who is ready for a class action suit I certainly am ready.

27. Michele

Has anyone had a problem with the CLOCK??? I have 2 thermostats in my house and ONLY 1 is having this problem. At 12:00 noon & midnight, the time & day changes on my clock. It resets to 4 hours earlier & forwards to the next day??? I have been trying to resolve it with Lennox and they can’t seem to find the problem. I have tried resetting the time, but that does not work. I tried disabling the internet and reconnect and that does not work. If anyone has any helpful ideas or has been through this, please help!!!!

• Bryon Thomas

I’ve not had any problems with the clock. It has worked without problem over the past several years, updating automatically for daylight savings. Let’s see if the HouseSoGreen community has any suggestions.

• Bryan

I started having issues with my clock too. I reset the time twice today and noticed the issue a few days ago. I hadn’t thought more about it until it happened multiple times today. I called my dealer who said many of the 2013-2014 iComfort wifi thermostats had failed. They are coming tomorrow to look at it.

• Brad

Yes I have a problem with my clock resetting to about a half day forward. I change it to the correct date and it keeps resetting itself over night.

28. Michele

I see someone named Ro just posted this:
    “We just had some units installed today – and after it’s connected to internet, the only way to get the time zone to update properly is to go to the Advanced Settings -> View Dealer Control Center -> Proceed -> Information -> General -> Time Zone is adjustable on this screen. The units did not adjust time zone to the Home address that was set for the unit or user account.”
    How do you get to ADVANCED Settings??

• Adam

I’m also having problems with my clock resetting on its own, did you ever figure out how to get to the advanced settings?

29. Chris M.

I have the S30 thermostat and our installation originally had the time zone set incorrectly, but that was an easy fix.
    The thing that is troubling me is the Accuweather data – it’s way off. Our address is set correctly in the thermostat, when I log in to the lennoxicomfort.com site I see our zip code in the weather URL and the thermostat itself shows our city name – all of which would suggest that we should see the correct weather information. Unfortunately, the current temperature and daily forecasts are much different than displayed at the Accuweather.com site or on the Accuweather app on my Android phone.

A little before 10 pm tonight, the Warsaw, IN weather was reported as follows:

Current outdoor temp: 63 vs. 55 (8 degrees warmer according to lennoxicomfort.com vs. accuweather.com)
    Tuesday 4/4 forecast hi: 67 vs. 49 (18 degree difference!)
    Tuesday 4/4 forecast lo: 48 vs. 37 (11 off!)

Strange stuff, given that the Lennox data is provided by AccuWeather!
    I assume there must be some sort of database mapping error for the 46582 zip code…
    Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

• Bryon Thomas

I just compared forecasts for the next couple of days Accuweather web and on the iComfort thermostat. Forecasts were the same. The current outdoor temperature was within 1 degree of the temperature shown on Accuweather web. Be sure the outdoor thermostat is not exposed to a heat source or direct sun (not in your case since it was 10 pm) as that will cause inaccurate readings.

30. Hassan

I moved in a house we bought a month ago. It has Lennox IComfort wifi. It was working fine. Till I called in electrician to replace face plates and switches in whole house. Theromstat screen went blank. Many tries but did not recover. Then one evening workers switched off and on circuit breaker couple of times. And it came back to life. I assumed it was some bad breaker. But nothing.
    After, 3 weeks, 3 days ago it turned blank again. No response. Have tried multiple times turning the breaker off/on with no luck. took it off from the installed socket couple of times with no luck. Screen is dead blank.
    Last night took volt meter to verify that current is flowing. Took the thremostat out of socket and putting red leg on Red and black on extreme right (dont recall color) and it showed reading of 27.5. Indicating the power is good.
    For now I m stuck with this sort of dead thermostat. Called in HVAC, earliest appointment May 24.
    Not sure this is right for me. I m seriously thinking of getting back to old school thermostats.
    Any suggestions what to check. Its getting hot here and difficult to sleep at night.

• Bryon Thomas

When was the last time the condensate drain line was cleaned? Typically, there is a float switch in the drain pan that will cut power to your thermostat if the drain line is clogged. This is by design to prevent water damage from an overflowing drain pan. Hook up a shop vac to the outside drain line to suck out the water and gunk. If the clog is bad enough, it will take a long time for the water to drain past the clog and eventually cause the drain pan float switch to re-activate and send power to the thermostat. 3 weeks and 3 days is a long time for that to happen. Typically I see thermostats coming back on in a couple hours after water flows past the clog, which has happened to me.

31. John King

I have lennox xc20. It does not work. Has not worked since it was put in about a year ago. Humidity stays between 60 and 70. Does not cool to set point. The house is hot and sticky. Dealer/installer says there is nothing wrong with equipment or installation. Prior to this o had a lennox system that I had for 20 years that cooled great and kePT humidity at 40. Something is wrong but no one knows or will not own up to the problem. May just have to hire another dealer/ installer to rip it out and put in a different brand. Do not buy xc20 unless u want to waste 10,000 dollars

• Bryon Thomas

Have you inspected your ductwork for any problems: missing connections, kinked flex duct, etc.? Better yet, have you measured duct leakage? This will tell you if there is a problem with the Lennox XC20 or your duct work. Typically, it is more a problem of duct work. A home energy rater in your area can assist with duct testing. Take a look at the contractor finder on Building Performance Institute. In an extreme case, you may want to have your mechanical design reviewed by a professional–and not your HVAC contractor. Consider finding a firm like Positive Energy or Energy Vanguard in your area.

32. KS

The I-comfort thermostat is not displaying the temperature; just – – where the temperature display should be. The humidity reading is also incorrect. The furnace fan is working fine (circulating mode) but cooling mode will not start. Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Bryon Thomas

Did the Lennox iComfort thermostat work previously or is this a new installation? Did you reboot the thermostat by tipping it out of the wall mount clip? While you still have power to the thermostat, have you vacuumed the external drain line with a shop vac? What are you using to measure the reference humidity setting? The humidity sensor in the iComfort is typically accurate to within 5%. If all of this does not work, I suggest scheduling a service call with a local dealer.

• KS

Thanks for the suggestions. The thermostat has been in place for 3 years. No problems until this current episode. A reboot doesn’t seem to have any impact. The loss of the temperature indicator occurred before trying to get the cooling operating. I will check the external drain line in any case.
        The humidity sensor is simply reading <15% and current humidity is more like about 55%.

33. KS

Well, this morning (June 26th) the temperature is now displaying, the humidity reading appears to be about right, and the air conditioning works when the thermostat is set to cool. So, gremlins? For much of last week the temperature display was simply – – and humidity display was wonky (<15%). It was a very warm and muggy week. Last night the outdoor temperature dropped and humidity cleared after a couple of thunderstorms. Is it possible that high temp and high humidity actually affect the themostat operation?

• Bryon Thomas

The high temperatures and high humidity should be well within the range of your iComfort and not affect thermostat operation. You may consider purchasing a humidity and temperature pen such as the Extech 445580 Humidity and Temperature Pen as a reference comparison. If there is more than 10% difference in humidity and more than 3-4 degrees temperature difference between the devices, then your iComfort thermostat may be defective or failing.

34. Liz

After a power outage (or even a power blip) my iComfort always defaults to the winter program and humidifier ‘on’ when it comes back online, not the settings at the time of the power outage (ie summer program and dehumidifier ‘on’). I believe that the settings are held in non-volatile memory enabling the thermostat to reset to the settings at the time of the outage. Why is it not using the settings at the time of the power outage?

• Bryon Thomas

I agree that is surprising behavior. In Miami, FL we have periodic power outages and my iComfort has never reset to an earlier program since installing several years ago. It always returns to the last settings. Does this same behavior occur when power cycling your thermostat (tilt thermostat forward from the top in the wall mount cradle for 15 seconds to remove from power and then replace). Are you running the latest software version on your iComfort?

35. Mary Ann Thompson

My Lennox IComfort themostat appears to keep rebooting. Runs for about 2-3 minutes, then says “system is waiting”. The screen goes blank while system is running, and then comes back up and says “system is cooling”. Runs a few minutes and repeats over and over. Had a power outage for a few days. Have tried manual resets.

36. Rich Pratt

I too am noticing erratic time and date changes on our Lennox. I though do not have any specific trends yet, but seems like changes in time and date are limited to less than 24 hours and + or minus 1 day.
    We have endured a 11 day power loss due to IRMA hurricane.
    I reset the thermostat with the 5 second hold, watching for its behavior after reset.

37. Tim

Have the iComfort tstat and it randomly drops the Wi-Fi which can be annoying as it is setup in our cabin and we like to turn the heat on remotely before we arrive. Am thinking of trying to replace it with the S30 to see if it is more stable. Also, we are in Canada and the aux heat comes on way too often and Tstat won’t let you change any of the thresholds. I have an Ecobee 3 at home that works flawlessly.

Is the S30 Wi-Fi connection stable?

• Bryon Thomas

I don’t have experience with the S30 so I can’t comment on WiFi stability. Are you sure it’s not a configuration issue with the WiFi access point in your cabin? My iComfort thermostat has had a rock-solid WiFi connection over the past several years. Is your system running the latest software updates. Here is my system info:

Model Number: 103445-04
      Hardware Revision: 008
      Software Revision: 01.13.0240
      Wi-Fi Revision: APP=3.3.5, GEPS=3.3.5, WLAN=3.3.3

Good luck!

• Tim

Thanks Byron. Yup, all up to date. I have a feeling the Wi-Fi issue relates to how I am extending the network as it will occasionally connect to a distant airport express that is setup to extend the network. I have it configured to Channel 6 and have dropped the network extension. Will see how it goes.